Help ID Station on 13035

General SWLing forum. Topics include the reception of International Broadcast Stations, Utility Stations, and other HF signals, and so forth.

Help ID Station on 13035

Postby Dummy_Load » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:57 pm

Hello everybody, this is my first post here. :D

I'm picking up a signal on 13035 khz (Maybe 13036, my old Grundig is getting flaky).

Weak signal at my QTH in the northeastern US.

It consists of buzzing/tones (Data bursts?) and a CW ID.

The CW ID message, I decode: "CQ DE WHL", once every 3 minutes.

The buzzing is 10 slow tones, 3 fast tones, repeat. The tone sequence is paused when the CW ID plays.

What is this signal? Anybody got a guess at least?
Dummy_Load
Novice

Re: Help ID Station on 13035

Postby Dummy_Load » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:43 pm

It seems to have changed patterns today.

The buzzing sounds are in a different sequence, I haven't noticed the pattern yet. The weak/fading signal at my QTH doesn't help much.

I still hear it, but I have not yet heard a CW ID today. (Maybe I just missed it in the static?)
Dummy_Load
Novice

Postby K5TEN » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:00 am

Dummy_Load wrote:It seems to have changed patterns today.

The buzzing sounds are in a different sequence, I haven't noticed the pattern yet. The weak/fading signal at my QTH doesn't help much.

I still hear it, but I have not yet heard a CW ID today. (Maybe I just missed it in the static?)

You didn't mention if it was transmitted with an AM carrier (constant needle deflection like local AM radio) or just CW & data (signal meter only moved during the times of CW or data).

While most of the LORAN (network of radio-location beacons for aircraft and ships at sea) have been closed down, there are still stations on HF that carry out similar tasks. Last summer I heard a VERY loud AM carrier signal that ID'ed on CW but carried no other information--it was in the same frequency area, give or take a mHz or so that you mention.

I found the "company" website and emailed a signal report. Within an hour a lady emailed me back saying it was indeed them and the she was also a ham. The signal was like 10 kW and on a 600' vertical antenna out in North Carolina somewhere. The "company" was a commercial venture but also provided radio-location for aircraft and ships as a "beacon" of sorts, but also sent information using digital modes (computer modes) the information was not public and was only for their subscribers. Since GPS is common place now beacons for air/ship are fairly antiquated I have no idea what they were sending via digital modes (most likely the buzzing sound you copied). I will have a computer with digital mode capability connected to my Yaesu in the next few months I do not as of yet have the capabilities.

But then again I might be wrong and your signal may have a different purpose.

And thumbs up for knowing CW!!

Bruce
ex-KA0NIU, ex-KA9SOX, now K5TEN (117 countries confirmed--Submitting for DXCC soon! WOOT!)
SWL: WDX9KJX And the "WDX9KJX Short Wave Monitoring Service" from 1973 to 1986
1st SW QSL: "Happy Station" Radio Nederland Wereldoemroep, Holland, 1974
2nd SW QSL: "The Voice of Nigeria" Lagos, 1974
3rd SW QSL: "Radio Moscow" USSR
http://m3jzt.proboards82.com/index.cgi
K5TEN
Motivated

Callsign: K5TEN

Postby Dummy_Load » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:17 pm

It's just CW and Data. No carrier between transmissions.

I can hear it again today. Perhaps you could take a listen and see if you can hear it?

K5TEN wrote:And thumbs up for knowing CW!!

Thanks! Not great at it yet, but still practicing.

Actually, while we're on the subject of nav beacons, my first real "radio hobby" was logging the low power longwave beacons (NDB). For the longest time, I had to use a sheet of paper to decode them, but I gradually started learning CW. It wasn't until later that I got a ham license, developed an interest in QRP, and decided to improve my CW skills (I'm currently working up to that first CW QSO, while building a kit QRP radio).
Dummy_Load
Novice

Postby K5TEN » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:12 pm

Then you are THE MAN!

Many of today's hams have never put a rig/kit together, operated QRP, much less know CW.

ALL the juiciest DX is on CW--and now warming up to Digital modes.

WTG!!
ex-KA0NIU, ex-KA9SOX, now K5TEN (117 countries confirmed--Submitting for DXCC soon! WOOT!)
SWL: WDX9KJX And the "WDX9KJX Short Wave Monitoring Service" from 1973 to 1986
1st SW QSL: "Happy Station" Radio Nederland Wereldoemroep, Holland, 1974
2nd SW QSL: "The Voice of Nigeria" Lagos, 1974
3rd SW QSL: "Radio Moscow" USSR
http://m3jzt.proboards82.com/index.cgi
K5TEN
Motivated

Callsign: K5TEN

Return to General Shortwave Radio Discussions