am antenna

Discussion about MW (500 to 3000 kHz) - especially AM broadcasting band DXing.

am antenna

Postby spronkenstein » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:36 pm

I have built a loop antenna that is 18" long 14" wide and has 23 turns. now that i've got that done i don't have the slightest clue what to do with it. Do i add a balun, low-pass filter, pre-amp, or should i just connect one wire to the radio and another to ground? I must not be researching hard enough because i can't find much on what to do after i've finished the loop. any help would be appreciate link and whatnot if you have them.
spronkenstein
Novice

Re: am antenna

Postby K5TEN » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:00 am

Greetings spronk!

First off, congrats on "homebrewing" your own antenna as well as having done some research on how and why a loop antenna can help in your reception. I believe there is a budding amateur radio (ham) operator in your future! Many hams LOVE to build their own antennas, me included.

What kind of reciever are you using and what type of antenna jack, terminals, or connection does it have? That will be the determining factor on how you can bring your new receiving aid into use at your station.

Your loop will help in a number of ways. For some reason I am unable to explain, loops "hear" better at frequencies far lower than it's resonant frequency. It also enables the listener to set it up vertically and then rotate it one direction or another to either make a desired station louder or "null out" an unwanted station or interference. This is especially evident in North America for SWL's to "null out" a loud North Aamerican station and listen for European stations "over the pole" because EU stations are assigned what most NA stations consider as "oddball" frequencies. They can do the same for ours. I worked at a radio station in Tennessee once and they also had an automated country station that ran low power (1 kW) at night. They would recieve MW SWL reports by mail for QSL cards and had no idea what to do with them. These reports were from all over Scandinavia.

Bruce
ex-KA0NIU, ex-KA9SOX, now K5TEN (117 countries confirmed--Submitting for DXCC soon! WOOT!)
SWL: WDX9KJX And the "WDX9KJX Short Wave Monitoring Service" from 1973 to 1986
1st SW QSL: "Happy Station" Radio Nederland Wereldoemroep, Holland, 1974
2nd SW QSL: "The Voice of Nigeria" Lagos, 1974
3rd SW QSL: "Radio Moscow" USSR
http://m3jzt.proboards82.com/index.cgi
K5TEN
Motivated

Callsign: K5TEN

Postby spronkenstein » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:08 pm

Currently i am using a tecsun pl 600 and it has a 3.5mm connection point
spronkenstein
Novice

Postby K5TEN » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:26 pm

Depending on your location, if you can get to an electronics store they should have a cord with that plug on it available for sale. Strip back the insulation on the wire on one of the ends (that does not have the plug on it) and wrap the exposed wire to the wire coming from the loop you have made and solder it. Worse case scenerio you could take the wire coming from your loop (am assuming that you have stripped away a few inches of insulation from that wire) and wrap it a few times around the telescoping whip and then place the whip back down into it's normally not used notch...then use the loop. You should be able to rotate the loop to notice differences in signal strengths. If so--it's working.

Bruce
ex-KA0NIU, ex-KA9SOX, now K5TEN (117 countries confirmed--Submitting for DXCC soon! WOOT!)
SWL: WDX9KJX And the "WDX9KJX Short Wave Monitoring Service" from 1973 to 1986
1st SW QSL: "Happy Station" Radio Nederland Wereldoemroep, Holland, 1974
2nd SW QSL: "The Voice of Nigeria" Lagos, 1974
3rd SW QSL: "Radio Moscow" USSR
http://m3jzt.proboards82.com/index.cgi
K5TEN
Motivated

Callsign: K5TEN

Return to Medium Wave Listening