Aircraft HF Help Please

General Amateur Radio Discussions - if topics become popular, I will create individual form areas. In the meantime, post the general topics here.

Aircraft HF Help Please

Postby debiassi » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:31 pm

Hi, I am an aircraft ferry pilot and require a compact lightweight portable HF installation. The setup needs to be powered either from an inverter plugged into a 12v dc receptacle or alternatively by an external battery pack. The antenna cannot connect to the airframe otherwise FAA certification is needed which is expensive. Any advice to an HF radio and antenna solution would be greatly received.
Also please not I am a novice so laymans terms please
debiassi
Novice

Re: Aircraft HF Help Please

Postby Jerry » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:10 am

You have not explained which mode you wish to work.

Simple QRP radios, which do not transmit with a lot of power and do not use much power is probably your best bet.

You will have to design or buy a antenna which can be used while traveling in the plane.
I was thinking one that could be deployed out the window - trailing long wire - but even some type of vertical would probably work fine. Hamstick / screw driver etc.

857 / 840 etc mobile radio, along with a 7000 or 706 would all make a good radio for what you are trying to do.
Jerry
Friend

Callsign: AB3NK

Return to General Amateur Radio Discussion / Questions and Answers