Newby question

General Amateur Radio Discussions - if topics become popular, I will create individual form areas. In the meantime, post the general topics here.

Newby question

Postby AlbinoAlligator » Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:51 pm

I am studying for my tech license. What I would like to know is, what bands will I be able to operate on? I know the say vhf/uhf, and above 30khz. But what confuses me is, I don't know what "bands" are included. I believe 2 meter, and 6 meter, are included. But I hear things refered to in khz, then meters, then vhf, ect. Then when it comes to buying a radio, I get even more lost. Are there radios that are only 2 meter, or only 6 meter? Are there radios that cover eveything? Or everything, a tech license is good for? I guess I am looking for a simple explanation. Mabye there is'nt one. Thanks in advance.

AA

One more question. Is vhf, and marine radio the same thing? And do you need a license for marine radio?
AlbinoAlligator

Postby AlbinoAlligator » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:31 am

Wow, what a great site. Thanks for all the help!

Later :roll:
AlbinoAlligator

Postby NW7US » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:38 am

AlbinoAlligator wrote:Wow, what a great site. Thanks for all the help!

Later :roll:

Yeah ... sometimes things go slow. I think especially during the summer when folks are out and about doing summer-time things, forums suffer.

I'm sure there'll be replies. I'll put mine in, now...
73, de NW7US (Tomas David Hood)
.. Contributing editor, Propagation Columns in:
.... CQ Magazine, CQ VHF Quarterly, Popular Communications Magazine

Some of my websites:
My Amateur Radio hobby... | YouTube - NW7US Channel
SunspotWatch.com | NW7US on Facebook | Space Weather and Radio on Facebook
NW7US
Site Admin

Callsign: NW7US
Twitter: @NW7US
YouTube Channel: http://youtube.com/user/NW7US

Re: Newby question

Postby NW7US » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:52 am

AlbinoAlligator wrote:I am studying for my tech license. What I would like to know is, what bands will I be able to operate on?

The current U.S. Technician's license, without passing the morse code element, gives you the following:

6 Meters:
50.0-50.1 MHz: CW Only
50.1-54.0 MHz: CW, Phone, Image, MCW, RTTY/Data

2 Meters:
144.0-144.1 MHz: CW Only
144.1-148.0 MHz: CW, Phone, Image, MCW, RTTY/Data

1.25 Meters:
222.00-225.00 MHz: CW, Phone, Image, MCW, RTTY/Data

70 Centimeters:
420.0-450.0 MHz: CW, Phone, Image, MCW, RTTY/Data

33 Centimeters:
902.0-928.0 MHz: CW, Phone, Image, MCW, RTTY/Data

23 Centimeters:
1270-1295 MHz: CW, phone, Image, MCW, RTTY/Data (maximum power, 5 watts PEP)
1240-1300 MHz: CW, Phone, Image, MCW, RTTY/Data

Higher Frequencies:
2300-2310 MHz
2390-2450 MHz
3300-3500 MHz
5650-5925 MHz
10.0-10.5 GHz
24.0-24.25 GHz
47.0-47.2 GHz
75.5-81.0 GHz*
119.98-120.02 GHz
142-149 GHz
241-250 GHz
All above 300 GHz

* Amateur operation at 76-77 GHz has been suspended till the FCC can determine that interference will not be caused to vehicle radar systems

AlbinoAlligator wrote:Then when it comes to buying a radio, I get even more lost. Are there radios that are only 2 meter, or only 6 meter? Are there radios that cover eveything? Or everything, a tech license is good for? I guess I am looking for a simple explanation. Mabye there is'nt one.

Well, this is a BIG subject -- yes, there are single-band radios. And, there are multi-band VHF and VHF/UHF radios, too. Finally, there are some radios that have the HF bands, as well as VHF and UHF.

HF is High Frequency, and generally means that spectrum from 3000 kilo-Hertz (kHz) to 30000 kHz (3.0 mega-Hertz, or 3.0 MHz, to 30.0 MHz).

VHF is from 30.0 MHz to 300 MHz.

UHF is from 300 MHz to something like 3000 MHz.

SHF is from 3000 MHz (or 3.0 giga-Hertz, or 3.0 GHz) to something a lot higher (I don't have it in front of me...)

Search for "Amateur Radio VHF transceivers" on Google, and you'll start to see what is out there.

AlbinoAlligator wrote:One more question. Is vhf, and marine radio the same thing? And do you need a license for marine radio?

Marine radio in local U.S. jargon can refer to the VHF bands allocated to the service of boat to boat communications. However, Marine radio allocations exist in the HF spectrum, as well as in the VHF spectrum.

Amateur Radio Service is not the same as Marine Radio Service. The license requirements are different, and so are the radios used.

Hope that starts to answer your questions.
73, de NW7US (Tomas David Hood)
.. Contributing editor, Propagation Columns in:
.... CQ Magazine, CQ VHF Quarterly, Popular Communications Magazine

Some of my websites:
My Amateur Radio hobby... | YouTube - NW7US Channel
SunspotWatch.com | NW7US on Facebook | Space Weather and Radio on Facebook
NW7US
Site Admin

Callsign: NW7US
Twitter: @NW7US
YouTube Channel: http://youtube.com/user/NW7US

Return to General Amateur Radio Discussion / Questions and Answers